Terms & Policies
March 1, 2021
Commercial Electronic Messages
In compliance with Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL) and the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), geoLOGIC systems ltd. (“geoLOGIC” or “we”) directly and via its affiliated brands communicates with you by means of commercial electronic messages (email, voicemail, via our various social media, etc.) to provide you with the services you have requested, whether as an individual or as a business person acting on behalf of a corporate entity. We need your permission to communicate information to you about your paid or free account, registration, products, services and events offered by geoLOGIC. In addition to these emails, we offer a number of standalone, free publications to which you may subscribe or unsubscribe at any time by clicking on the link at the bottom of the e-mail.
We do not send unsolicited marketing or promotional messages.
By agreeing to the Commercial Electronic Messages (CEMs) Policy and geoLOGIC’s Terms and Policies, you agree to receive electronic communications from geoLOGIC and its affiliated brands. If you have any questions, wish to update your communication preferences, or wish to withdraw your consent, please contact our customer support team for assistance at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Personal Information Protection
At geoLOGIC, we are committed to providing our clients (subscribers, enrollees, registrants, clients, members, readers and users) with exceptional service. As providing this service involves the collection, use and disclosure of some personal information about our clients, protecting their personal information is one of our highest priorities.
While we have always respected our clients’ privacy and safeguarded their personal information, we have strengthened our commitment to protecting personal information in accordance with both Alberta’s Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA), and the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). PIPA, which came into effect on January 1, 2004, and sets out the ground rules for how Alberta businesses and not-for-profit organizations may collect, use and disclose personal information. GDPR, which came into effect May 25th, 2018, serves to protect the privacy and use of personally identifiable information of EU data subjects specifically. geoLOGIC seeks to apply the most protective and otherwise beneficial privacy policies to all of our clients
We will inform our clients of why and how we collect, use and disclose their personal information, obtain their consent where required, and only handle their personal information in a manner that a reasonable person would consider appropriate in the circumstances.
This Personal Information Protection Policy, in compliance with PIPA and GDPR, outlines the principles and practices we will follow in protecting clients’ personal information. Our privacy commitment includes ensuring the accuracy, confidentiality, and security of our clients’ personal information and allowing our clients to request access to, copies of, and correction of, their personal information.
This Personal Information Protection Policy applies to geoLOGIC and its subsidiaries and affiliated companies.
This policy also applies to any service providers collecting, using or disclosing personal information on behalf of geoLOGIC.
Unless the purposes for collecting personal information are obvious and the client voluntarily provides his or her personal information for those purposes, we will communicate the purposes for which personal information is being collected, either orally or in writing, before or at the time of collection.
Examples of why we collect client information:
- To verify identity
- To identify client preferences
- To understand the needs of our clients
- To open and manage an account or subscription
- To deliver requested products and services
- To process a purchase transaction
- To provide informational services
- To enroll the client in a program
- To send out information about geoLOGIC products and services
- To ensure a high standard of service to our clients
- To meet regulatory requirements
In the event of a client voluntarily providing his or her personal information to be shown in the public domain on geoLOGIC or any of its affiliated sites, the client will have the necessary control to modify or remove their public information at their discretion
Examples of public personal information include resumes, specialist profiles, author profiles, speaker profiles, etc.
- We will obtain client consent to collect, use or disclose personal information (except where, as noted below, we are authorized to do so without consent).
- Consent can be provided orally, in writing, electronically, through an authorized representative or it can be implied where the purpose for collecting using or disclosing the personal information would be considered obvious and the client voluntarily provides personal information for that purpose.
- Consent may also be implied where a client is given notice and an opportunity to opt-out of his or her personal information being used for mail-outs, the marketing of new services or products and the client does not opt-out in accordance with the Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL) of July 1, 2014, and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) of May 25, 2018.
- Subject to certain exceptions (e.g., the personal information is necessary to provide the service or product, or the withdrawal of consent would frustrate the performance of a legal obligation), clients can withhold or withdraw their consent for geoLOGIC to use their personal information in certain ways. A client’s decision to withhold or withdraw their consent to certain uses of personal information may restrict our ability to provide a particular service or product. If so, we will explain the situation to assist the client in making the decision.
- We may collect, use or disclose personal information without the client’s knowledge or consent in the following limited circumstances:
- When the collection, use or disclosure of personal information is permitted or required by law
- In an emergency that threatens an individual’s life, health, or personal security
- When the personal information is available from a public source (e.g., a telephone directory or web site)
- When we require legal advice from a lawyer
- For the purposes of collecting a debt
- To protect ourselves from fraud
- To investigate an anticipated breach of an agreement or a contravention of law
- We will not sell client lists or personal information to other parties unless we have consent to do so.
- If we use client personal information to make a decision that directly affects the client, we will retain that personal information for at least one year so that the client has a reasonable opportunity to request access to it.
- We will retain client personal information only as long as necessary to fulfil the identified purposes or a legal or business purpose.
- We will make reasonable efforts to ensure that client personal information is accurate and complete where it may be used to make a decision about the client or disclosed to another organization.
- Clients may request correction to their personal information in order to ensure its accuracy and completeness. To update personal information, you may make a request in writing by providing sufficient detail to identify the personal information and the correction being sought. Requests for modification to personal information can be sent in writing to email@example.com.
- If the personal information is demonstrated to be inaccurate or incomplete, we will correct the information as required and send the corrected information to any organization to which we disclosed the personal information in the previous year. If the correction is not made, we will note the client’s correction request in the file. We may require proof to support the request for modification (e.g. identification, proof of address, credit card or bank account such as in the case of refunds).
- We are committed to ensuring the security of client personal information in order to protect it from unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification or disposal or similar risks.
- The following security measures will be followed to ensure that client personal information is appropriately protected:
- Restricting employee access to personal information as appropriate
- The opportunity for clients to update account password at will
- We use appropriate security measures when destroying client’s personal information such as: shredding documents, deleting electronically stored information.
- We continually review and update our security policies and controls as technology changes to ensure on-going personal information security.
- Clients have a right to access their personal information, subject to limited exceptions as found in PIPA and GDPR, including items such as solicitor-client privilege, disclosure that would reveal personal information about another individual, health and safety concerns, etc.
- To access personal information you may make a request in writing by providing sufficient detail to identify the personal information being sought to the Data Privacy Officer at PrivacyOffice@geologic.com.
- Upon request, we will also tell clients how we use their personal information and to whom it has been disclosed, if applicable.
- We will make the requested information available within 30 business days or provide written notice of an extension where additional time is required to fulfil the request.
- A minimal and reasonable fee may be charged for providing access to personal information in certain circumstances in accordance with PIPA and GDPR regulations. Where a fee may apply, we will inform the client of the cost and request further direction from the client on whether or not we should proceed with the request.
- If a request is refused in full or in part, we will notify the client in writing, providing the reasons for refusal and the recourse available to the client.
Questions and Complaints: The Role of the Data Privacy Officer (DPO) or designated individual
- The Data Privacy Officer or designated individual is responsible for ensuring geoLOGIC’s compliance with our data privacy and protection polices in accordance with the latest versions of the Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA) and General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) regulations.
- Clients should direct any complaints, concerns or questions regarding geoLOGIC’s compliance in writing to the Data Privacy Officer at: geoLOGIC systems ltd.
Attn: Privacy Office
Suite 1500, 401 – 9th Avenue SW
Canada T2P 3C5
geoLOGIC and its products are designed for optimal use with latest browser versions. Due to the diversity of operating systems and web browsers, there may be parts of our site that do not work with all versions of web browsers.
There are various levels of access to geoLOGIC affiliated websites, apps, etc.:
- Free access – no charges apply
- Paid subscriber and enrollee access only – paid subscription and enrollment fees apply (may be a one-time charge, monthly, quarterly, annual or similar)
- Subscriber to a publication, bulletin or newsletter (free of charge unless otherwise indicated)
There are subscriptions to publications that are bulletins, newsletters, digests, and similar items, at no charge.
Cancelling a subscription to a paid service does not cancel your subscription to a publication and vice versa.
You may unsubscribe to individual publications using the unsubscribe link at the bottom of that particular email.
To cancel your subscription to a paid service, please speak with one of our support team members (see contact information below) or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include your ID (the user name - typically the email address you used when creating your Account).
In the event of any dispute over monthly services billed, the maximum refund we are able to issue is the equivalent to the amount charged to your account in the most recent billing period. To be eligible for a refund, the user must provide proof of cancellation that includes the cancellation date and the user name as well as proof of the charge.
Ensure that, in all correspondence with our support team, you include your full name, email address, previous email addresses if applicable, phone number, city and country.
If you have a single-user account, only the registered account holder is authorized to use the account. You may not share the ID and password with anyone else. If you have a multi-user corporate account, only the registered users listed for the account are authorized to use the account. These users may not share their IDs and passwords with anyone else.
For all services deemed as “unlimited”, fair usage policies apply. Consult our support team at email@example.com if you are unsure about the parameters of fair usage of the service or product you have purchased or to which you have subscribed. geoLOGIC reserves the right to terminate service of what it considers to be outside of fair usage.
If you did not include your credit card details in the online form, then your account will be activated as soon as payment information is received. You will be notified by email as soon as your account has been activated.
geoLOGIC bills in more than one official currency including those of Canada and the United States. Applicable taxes will be added, unless otherwise specified.
For clients paying for service in one of our accepted currencies where that currency is different to your own currency, please note that we have no control over the exchange rate used by your credit card company or our payment gateway. If you have any concerns regarding the exchange rate used for your credit card transaction, please contact your credit card company directly.
Subscription and Enrollment
Payment is accepted by authorized credit card. In rare cases, arrangements for a deposit/transfer can be made. Contact our support team at firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire.
Payment is accepted by authorized credit card. Contact our support team for alternative forms of payment we may accept.
Please note that accounts are not activated until payment has been received and confirmed.
© geoLOGIC systems ltd. All Rights Reserved.
The content on our websites and other mediums (email, mobile apps, in print, etc.) is owned by geoLOGIC systems ltd., in conjunction with others, pursuant to contractual arrangements.
Without written permission, this content may not be reproduced, copied, captured into a database, or duplicated in any form for commercial gain except under the terms of a special formal agreement with geoLOGIC and as permitted under copyright law.
Modification of content, or commercial use thereof, for any other purpose, is a violation of our copyright and other proprietary rights and is strictly prohibited.
You do not acquire any ownership rights by using any part of geoLOGIC, any of its affiliated sites or associated services. Please respect our property, trademarks and copyright.
geoLOGIC systems ltd. Data
Text, search results, or other information may be downloaded, saved, or printed solely for private use of the individual or purchasing entity (individual, company, etc.).
Commenting and Posting
We welcome your comments and posts where available on geoLOGIC’s websites.
Commenting and posting must be relevant, respectful of others and suitable for a general audience.
geoLOGIC may re-publish reader’s posts and comments or use them in marketing material without prior consent.
Comments cannot have any of the following characteristics:
- Be abusive or prejudiced
- Solicitation for goods and services
- Use foul language
- Be libelous or knowingly false
- Reference adult content
- Contain spam
- Infringe upon the copyright or the property of others
geoLOGIC may remove comments and posts at any time without notice. If a commentator is found to be in repeat violation of these guidelines, the user may be banned from the website.
If you decide to post here, you will be solely responsible. Comments are the views of the person who posted them and do not reflect the opinions of geoLOGIC
The information contained on geoLOGIC’s websites has been collected from a variety of sources and by a variety of organizations and individuals, all considered reliable. All information is offered on a “best intentions” basis.
geoLOGIC makes no representation or offers no warranty with respect to the adequacy of the information for any particular purpose. In no event shall geoLOGIC, its affiliated companies, employees, officers and directors, shareholders or the authors of information provided herein be liable for special, direct, indirect or consequential damages, losses, costs, charges, demands, or claims for lost profits or expenses of any nature or kind.
In particular geoLOGIC content is not presented as a solicitation to buy or purchase securities. Investors are advised to discuss all of their stock purchases with a registered securities broker or personal finance professional prior to investing.
Writers and contributors may be trading in or have positions in the commodities and companies mentioned in their articles. Neither geoLOGIC nor any of the contributors accepts any liability arising out of the information/articles.
Also, reference to any specific commercial products, process, service, manufacturer, or company does not constitute its endorsement or recommendation by geoLOGIC. geoLOGIC is not responsible for the contents of any “off-site” web pages referenced.
The opinions expressed in the articles belong solely to the commentators and authors. They do not reflect the view of geoLOGIC. geoLOGIC uses Google Analytics Demographics and anonymous demographic information is sometimes shared with our advertisers.
Service Changes and Limitations
geoLOGIC products and services change frequently, and their form and functionality may change without prior notice to you. geoLOGIC retains the right to create limits on and related use of the products and services in its sole discretion at any time with or without notice. geoLOGIC may also impose limits on certain products, services or aspects of those products and services or restrict your access to parts or all of the products and services without notice or liability. geoLOGIC may change, suspend, or discontinue any or all of the products and services at any time, including the availability of any product, feature, database, or content.
geoLOGIC and its affiliated sites are ever-evolving platforms. With new products, services, and features launching all the time, we need flexibility to make changes, impose limits and occasionally suspend or terminate certain offerings.
geoLOGIC may also terminate or suspend any account at any time. We only use that power when we have a reason as outlined in these policies.
Links to Other Sites
Throughout our sites, geoLOGIC provides links to other sites for your convenience. These sites are independent from geoLOGIC and geoLOGIC does not endorse, control or make any representations, warranties or conditions concerning their contents or links. It is your responsibility to verify any information contained within linked sites before relying on it. Also, the information contained in the links may be deleted, changed or updated at any time without notice. Linked sites may have their own terms and conditions that you should locate and review.
In the event of any action arising out of or relating to these Terms and Policies (whether in contract, tort, or both), geoLOGIC shall be entitled to recover its costs and expenses, including reasonable attorney’s fees, incurred in connection with such action.
Any unauthorized assignment or transfer of rights shall be deemed void and unenforceable and subject to damages without the expressed written consent of geoLOGIC
geoLOGIC systems ltd.
geoLOGIC reserves the right to change any of the above policies, terms and conditions at any time, without notice.