Emissions Reduction Alberta announced this week the winners of its biotechnology, electricity and sustainable transportation (BEST) challenge.
Sixteen projects will receive a combined $100 million from the government agency that reinvests funds from the province’s carbon levy into clean technology development.
The BEST challenge was launched in July 2018 with a purse of $70 million, which was subsequently increased to $100 million. ERA said it received 180 expressions of interest in September 2018.
The initiative focuses on projects that are in the field pilot, commercial demonstration or commercial implementation stages.
The winning projects range from new solar opportunities in coal-impacted communities to electrification of bus fleets to energy storage and bold new uses for hydrogen. Together they are anticipated to account for cumulative GHG reductions of 2.5 million tonnes of CO₂e by 2030. Here are the winning projects:
- LanzaTech, Inc.: Carbon Sequestration via Next-Generation Bioreactor Technology
- Shell Canada Energy: Shell Alberta Bioenergy Project
- Sultech Global Innovation Corp.: Production of Micronized Sulphur and Formulation of a Sprayable Elemental Sulphur Fertilizer.
- TransCanada Energy: Saddlebrook Solar and Storage
- ENMAX Generation Portfolio Inc.: ENMAX Midstream Industrial Solar and Storage
- AltaLink Management Ltd.: Whitecourt Transmission Deferral Battery
- FortisAlberta Inc.: FortisAlberta Waterton Energy Storage
- Town of Hanna: Hanna Solar
- Longspur Developments: Drumheller Solar and Battery Storage
- Natel Energy: Bow River Irrigation District (BRID) Drop 5 Hydro.
- Alberta Newsprint Company: GHG Reduction for Supply Chain Improvements for Oil & Gas Hydraulic Fracturing
- ATCO Gas and Pipelines Ltd.: First of Kind Commercial Deployment and Demonstration of 100 Class 7 or 8 Commercial Compressed Natural Gas/Renewable Natural Gas Powered Vehicles
- eCAMION: Demonstration of Battery-Based Bus Charging Routes
- ENMAX Generation Portfolio Inc.: ENMAX E-Fleet Pilot
- City of Calgary: Electric Bus On-Route Charging Deployment
- Alberta Motor Transport Association: Alberta Zero Emissions Truck Electrification Collaboration