Trans Mountain is suspending construction activities on its pipeline expansion project now that the Federal Court of Appeal has overturned its approval.
The company announced on Monday that construction had officially started on the $7.4 billion project, with line clearing underway in Central Alberta.
“Trans Mountain is currently taking measures to suspend construction related activities on the project in a safe and orderly manner,” Kinder Morgan Canada president Ian Anderson said in a statement on Thursday afternoon.
The company announced the final list of construction contractors last week for the project. It had been expected to start operating in 2021.
The court nullified the project’s approval on the basis that the National Energy Board failed to take into account related increases to tanker traffic, and that Ottawa did not adequately consult with First Nations.
“We are reviewing the decision with the Government of Canada and are taking the appropriate time to assess next steps,” Anderson said. He is expected to remain with the project now that the Government of Canada will own it.
“We remain committed to building this project in consideration of communities and the environment, with meaningful consultation with Indigenous Peoples and for the benefit of Canadians.”