On Tuesday morning, Horizon North Logistics confirmed that its Blacksand Executive Lodge, located just north of Fort McMurray on AOSTRA road, had sustained "significant damage" as the massive wildfire in the region shifted and burst forward.
Mark Little, Suncor executive vice-president, upstream, noted on Tuesday evening that the fire had grown 30 kilometres in one day.
Officials say that the oilsands facilities remain safe and are "highly resilient" to wildfire, but the same cannot be said for the Blacksand Executive Lodge. Here are five things to know about the facility:
- It is one of Horizon North's flagship properties, and the company says that "no expense has been spared to ensure the four star hotel feel is maintained through every aspect of the site."
- Horizon North says the lodge features 665 VIP (255 ft2) executive rooms, equipped with a full private washroom, individual climate control, wireless internet, cable TV, coffee makers, and deluxe linens.
- Meals are cooked by Red Seal-certified chefs, and the site features a helicopter landing pad.
- The lodge opened in 2008.
- When it opened, it had 150 rooms that were utilized on an exclusive contract with Suncor Energy.